I am not the type of person to proof text the Bible or Spirit of Prophecy. I am a Seventh-day Adventist Pastor who holds dear by the doctrines of the church. The Church Manual is a guideline for the church and its strange what we pick and choose to call the letter of the law. While reading through the Manual preparing for a training, I ran across these two quotes that really gave chase to the way we discipline members of the church in Error.
1. People who have strong traits of Character who are not about unity….really blew my mind. The Manual, or I should say Testimonies to the Church says that these people are Unsafe to be officers in the church.
2. Check out the list of reasons to discipline… WOW. Think about the last board meeting you were in… or business meeting you were in. Especially Think about the gossipers that divide the church especially for gain.
I DIG #7 and #9. Forget fornication drugs and adultery.
Unsafe to Choose Those Who Refuse to Cooperate With Others—
“God has placed in the church, as His appointed helpers, men of varied
talents, that through the combined wisdom of many the mind of the Spirit
may be met. Men who move in accordance with their own strong traits of
character, refusing to yoke up with others who have had a long
experience in the work of God, will become blinded by self-confidence,
unable to discern between the false and the true. It is not safe for such
ones to be chosen as leaders in the church; for they would follow their
own judgment and plans, regardless of the judgment of their brethren. It
is easy for the enemy to work through those who, themselves needing
counsel at every step, undertake the guardianship of souls in their own
strength, without having learned the lowliness of Christ.”—
Church Manual..Page 195
The reasons for which members shall be subject to discipline are:
1. Denial of faith in the fundamentals of the gospel and in the fun-
damental beliefs of the Church or teaching doctrines contrary to the
2. Violation of the law of God, such as worship of idols, murder, stealing,
profanity, gambling, Sabbathbreaking, and willful and habitual falsehood.
3. Violation of the seventh commandment of the law of God as it relates
to the marriage institution, the Christian home, and biblical standards
of moral conduct.
4. Sexual abuse of children, youth, and vulnerable adults, fornication,
promiscuity, incest, homosexual practice, the production, use, or distribution
of pornography, and other sexual perversions.
5. Remarriage of a divorced person, except the spouse who has remained
faithful to the marriage vow in a divorce for adultery or for sexual
6. Physical violence, including violence within the family.
7. Fraud or willful misrepresentation in business.
8. Disorderly conduct which brings reproach upon the church.
9. Adhering to or taking part in a divisive or disloyal movement or organization.
10. Persistent refusal to recognize properly constituted church authority
or to submit to the order and discipline of the church.
11. The use, manufacture, or sale of alcoholic beverages.
12. The use, manufacture, or sale of tobacco in any of its forms for
13. The use or manufacture of illicit drugs or the misuse of, or trafficking
in, narcotics or other drugs.
wow …what do you think about these two quotes. To subscribe to my thoughts click here